Playing games on your phone or tablet is fun, but if you're reading this I know you are a special type of person who wants more. You don't want to just play games, you want to create your own!
If you want to make your own games, two big roadblocks jump in the way:
- There are so many game engines and frameworks available it's hard to know what to use.
- Once you choose one, how do you know what to do in order to make your own game?
Here's the solution for roadblock #1 -- choose something that's FAST and EASY to get into so you have success right away. There's nothing worse than making your decision and then discovering it will take days or weeks before you're up to speed with just the interface of the game engine. (Unity and Unreal, I'm looking at you!)
That's why I recommend a game engine you've never heard of -- Solar2D. It's been around for more than a decade and has been used for thousands of published mobile games. I've used many game engines and Solar2D is - hands down - the fastest and easiest way to get into 2D game development.
Imagine how it will feel when people around the world download and play what you’ve created!
What about roadblock #2? There's a lot of game dev info out there -- go to YouTube and a tsunami of tutorial videos will inundate you. Some are good, some stink, but you'll have to spend an awful lot of time trying to find the ones that make sense for you.
Or, go where the best lessons have already been chosen and are served up in an order that makes sense. Tutorial videos where you'll hit the ground running and have sprites moving on the screen in minutes!
"You got me up to speed in record time... Congrats on an awesome course." - Tim Buchalka
My name is Jay and I've been writing games almost since the dinosaurs roamed the earth (at least in computer time), and writing casual mobile games for almost a decade now. When I decided to do my first iPhone game I got mired in trying to learn Objective-C coding and even with a programming background, I was completely frustrated! When I stumbled upon Solar2D I actually got mad! How come nobody told me about this cool game engine before?!
You Don't Have To Get Frustrated And Mad -- You Can Get Started, Right Now!
Aimed at beginners, this video tutorial bundle will guide you through the creation of your own mobile game for iOS or Android (or even Windows/Mac desktop). But while it's aimed at beginners, it then takes you further with the bundled intermediate courses:
- Find out how the Composer library can give you cool transitions between screens,
- Create a Choose Level screen with the ability to lock and unlock levels.
- Discover how to use A* Pathfinding to make the enemies go after your player!
The videos can be viewed online and the sample code can be downloaded to your computer so you can follow along. Since it’s all online and all digital, you don’t have to wait, you can start finding out how to make your own games right now.
Don't just play games other people make -- finally take control and make your own games!
Get even more Solar2D tutorials -- the following courses are included free with the purchase of this course bundle:
- Composer Scene Management - Transition from scene to scene using cool-looking effects.
- Making a Grid - Grids are used for match-3 games, tower defense games, etc. Discover how to make grids!
- Easy Pathfinding - Make your player and enemies move around the screen and avoid obstacles!
- Using the Solar2D Widget Library - Buttons, sliders, switches, and more. Use in games and business apps!
- Swipe to Move - Discover how to move the player character by swiping any direction on the screen. Includes the foundation of a Space Invaders type game you can use!
- Locking and Unlocking Levels - Complete library that's ready to go. Helps you create a level screen with some levels locked until the player wins the previous level, or buys an In-App Purchase, etc.
These courses sell separately for $74, but you get them free with this bundle.
Keep playing games -- and soon, start playing the games that YOU create!
Get the course now and get on the path you deserve!
Screen from one of the examples in the Making Grids course.
(See that Chasy Maze screen up above? Same grid under the hood!)
Jay has been programming professionally since 1988, starting with game programming and then over the years moving to internet programming. Jay started programming for mobile devices in 2010 and currently has several games and apps in the Apple App Store with more on the way.
In addition to writing scores of technical articles over the years, Jay has recorded dozens of hours of tutorial videos. He's been a speaker at technical conferences and enjoys teaching how to make games and apps almost as much as making games and apps themselves.
Jay has been programming with Solar2D for a decade and was awarded Certified Developer status. He's also created a computer science course for the University of Alaska on using Unity to make 2D games.